FEMA, SBA offer loans and grants to renters

Photo: MGN Online

If you're a renter and were displace due to Hurricane Michael, you might be eligible for help from FEMA or the Small Business Administration.

FEMA grants may include funds to cover renting a new residence because the previous home is uninhabitable due to the hurricane. Renters may also be eligible for Other Needs Assistance (ONA) grants that help with uninsured or underinsured expenses and serious needs caused by the disaster, including:

  • Child care
  • Moving and storage expenses
  • Repair or replacement of personal property lost or damaged in the storm, including furniture and appliances, textbooks and computers used by students, and work equipment or tools used by independent contractors.
  • Primary vehicles, approved second vehicles, and modified vehicles damaged by the disaster
  • Disaster-related funeral and burial expenses
  • Disaster-related dental and medical expenses, such as wheelchairs, canes and prescriptions

The grants are not loans and won't have to be repaid, nor are they taxable income and won’t affect eligibility for Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits, or other public assistance programs.

For more information on FEMA grants, visit disasterassistance.gov.

The Small Business Administration offers low-interest disaster loans to help renters repair or replace disaster-damaged personal property, including automobiles. Survivors may be eligible to borrow up to $40,000, depending on their losses.

For more infomation on the SBA loans, go online to sba.gov/disaster.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off