Public reminded to clean up fireworks debris
On the Fourth of July, many fireworks light up the sky across the country leaving behind debris on the ground.
The Albany Fire Department recommends that you safely and properly dispose of the debris in a timely manner.
According to Interim Battalion Chief Wesley Wells, any discharged fireworks are not considered safe immediately after they've been discharged.
Many of the fireworks have powders in them that remain hot for a period of time.
Wells recommends that you cool the debris with water and make sure the debris is fully extinguished before picking it up.
"Most products will tell you to allow them to set for a period of time after you have discharged the fireworks and by all means, I would always keep a water supply handy and wet any product before you go to attempt to pick it up," said Wells.
Wells says it's a good idea to use a metal shovel to pick up the debris so that you don't have to use your hands.
Once it's picked up, you should store the left over debris in a metal container with an air safe lid.
Wells adds that you should never leave the debris out as it can cause injury to young children and pets.