Camilla family loses everything in a house fire including dog

Camilla family loses everything in a house fire including their dog./ Credit: Alexandria Ikomoni

A Camilla family of four is struggling to get back on their feet after loosing everything they had in a house fire.

Joshua and Heather Baggs, their two-year-old daughter and four-year-old son left with just the pajamas they were wearing. They didn’t have a cellphone to call 911.

Thankfully, their parents lived close by and could call. Unfortunately, by the time the fire department got there, the house was up in flames.

"It's overwhelming,” Joshua Baggs said. “We're mourning the loss of a home, our possessions and a dog we love."

It's hard for him to describe.

“You see people on the news that their houses are burned,” he said. “Your heart goes out for them, but you really don't know until you're faced with it."

It’s even harder for him to take in. It all happened on Sunday morning because of a heated lamp for their pets.

"In a blink of an eye, I ran outside thinking I could get a water hose to put it out, but it was already into the rafters of the porch roof,” he said.

Luckily their two kids stayed with their grandparents.

"They could've been playing upstairs,” he said. “They still could've still been in their bed. If that was the case, I could've gotten upstairs, but I'm not sure that I would've been able to come back down the stairs.”

One of their dogs, Gracie, didn't make it out the door.

"I did everything I could,” he said. “Possessions can be replaced. We're just heartbroken about her."

By then, the entire house was up in flames.

“What might have taken over the course of 15 minutes seemed like it went in 30 seconds,” Baggs said.

Their dog, Gracie, was still in there.

"I want to try and find her so we have something to bury,” he said.

But they're thankful for what they have.

"God was good to us,” he said.

Heather’s sister made a page for anyone that would like to donate to the family.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off