Thu, 12 Jan 2012 16:35:18 GMT — A woman and her cat are safe after their home caught fire. Albany Fire crews responded to 2410 East Doublegate Drive at 9:17 Thursday morning.Authorities say Mary Lynn Mercer, homeowner, had been smoking in bed. She got up and either dropped the cigarette or hot ashes and that's when the fire started.The bedroom door was closed which helped contain the flames."She had the doors, the doors closed which helped tremendously because where the fire was contained, the bedroom door kept it contained until our department showed up and opened it and took the fire down," said Keith Ambrose, Albany Fire Department Battalion Chief.Mercer was the only one home at the time.Damage is estimated at $5,000.00.
This stations Social Feeds are currently unavailable
This stations Twitter Social Feed is currently unavailable
This stations Facebook Social Feed is currently unavailable
WFXL FOX 31 is your source for getting connected to balanced news, severe weather coverage and local sports for Adel, Albany, Camilla, Cordele, Dawson, Douglas, Fitzgerald, Leesburg, Morgan, Moultrie, Nashville, Newton, Ocilla, Pearson, Sylvester, Tifton and Valdosta.