Winter weather brings closures and delays
With winter storms potentially bringing snow and ice Wednesday morning, some schools are making the choice to delay openings or cancel classes altogether.
However, many schools in Southwest Georgia are still on holiday break due to Christmas and New Years.
The following schools will be closed on Wednesday:
- ABAC's Tifton and Moultrie campuses will have a delayed start. Employees should report at 1 p.m. Should conditions deteriorate, additional information will be shared by email and posted on the website.
- Baker County School System closed for students. Faculty and staff should report at 9 a.m.
- Baconton Community Charter School
- Ben Hill County schools
- Colquitt County schools will be closed to students. Faculty are expected to report at 10:30 a.m. if conditions permit.
- Mitchell County Schools will be closed to students. Faculty and staff are expected to report at 9 a.m.
- Tift County schools will be closed to students & staff.
- Thomas University
- Turner County schools
- Pataula Charter Academy
- Southern Regional Technical College
- UGA Tifton campus closed until 12 p.m. for staff and students. Officials will continue to monitor conditions and update if necessary.
- Valwood School
- Wiregrass Technical College
Pelham City Schools will be delayed for opening until 10:30 a.m. for reporting faculty.
Several local government entities are also deciding to delay openings or be closed tomorrow.
- Tift County will not be opening government offices until 10 a.m. However, public safety officers will be working.
- Non-essential City of Douglas offices will be closed tomorrow.
- Moody Air Force Base will be closed.
- Thomas & Colquitt County health departments, HIV clinic in Thomas County and Ellenton Farmworker Clinic in Colquitt County will open at 12 p.m.
Stay connected to WFXL.com as the story develops.