component-social-facebook_share_api-v2-01
      44
      Tuesday
      47 / 27
      Wednesday
      49 / 32
      Thursday
      51 / 39

      What can cool you down can also heat something up

      Photo Credit: Rheya Spigner

      This past weekend FOX 31 was on the scene of a house fire started by a window air conditioning unit. Battalion Chief Keith Ambrose with the Albany Fire Department emphasizes the dangers of these units when used improperly.

      Chief Ambrose says window units shouldn't be used to cool down the entire house. Often people try to put them in a central place and use extension cords to plug them in, which is a hazard.

      Ambrose adds keeping them on high all day, and using an extension cord that isn't made for high energy appliances can also cause hazards that can lead to a fire.

      FOLLOW US ON TWITTER