MENU

      Tips to keep your house safe from a power surge

      A fire started Monday night at a house off of South Van Buren St. in Albany due to too many items being plugged in to a single 110-V outlet. / File


      A fire started Monday night at a house off of South Van Buren St. in Albany due to too many items being plugged in to a single 110-V outlet.

      Assistant Fire Chief Sebon Burns says that a surge protector is designed to equally distribute electricity from the outlet to different appliances.

      Burns adds to check all of the outlets, cords and surge protectors periodically to make sure there are no shortages or problems with wiring.

      "I suggest plugging everything into a surge protector, except another surge protector because you could over taxi the outlet itself." says Chief Burns. This is what is believed to cause the fire off of S. Van Buren Monday.

      It is also important that if you live in an older house, have an electrician come and check the condition of your wires and outlets to catch problem areas you may not know about.

      component-story-more_media_horiz-v1-01
      FOLLOW US ON TWITTER