77 / 59
      73 / 50
      63 / 45

      The dangers of electricity

      As family and friends of 17- year-old Benjamin Graham grieve the loss of their loved one, local plumbers say they're shocked by the deadly accident. Graham was under a house, working as a plumber, when he was electrocuted.

      This is the first time I TMve ever even heard of that, said Mark Aultman, a plumber for Professional Plumbing in Albany, Georgia.

      He says there are all types of dangers when going under a house and many times it's so dark that you can't see. Aultman says he's had his own brush with electrical trouble.

      I've run across times where I felt a small shock but I got out of there in time and we got it fixed and came back, said Mark.

      Paramedic supervisor Steve Ebel says in situations like that getting out and finding professional help is the best decision. He says once someone receives an electric shock, it stops the conduction of the heart, putting the body in cardiac arrest.

      That's why we're trying to promote C.P.R. to bystanders and the other workers because every moment that the heart's not beating is that much detrimental to the patient, said Emergency Medical Supervisor Steve Ebel.

      Aultman says on the job he's wary of snake bites and rabid rodents, but someone dying from electrical shock has never crossed his mind. He says after working as a plumber for so long, he sometimes forget about the dangers, but now that may be changing.

      It'll make you think twice when you go under a house. We'll be looking out for stuff like that, said plumber Mark Aultman.