74 / 57
      76 / 56
      75 / 54

      Teachers often pitch in with student's supplies

      Parents are often complaining about how much they have to spend on back to school supplies for their children.

      But not many realize the teachers are also digging deeper into their own pockets to help out students.

      With tightening budgets, everyone is cutting back. But one thing that has remained the same is teachers opening their wallets to buy supplies for class.

      This year I bought folders and binders, crayons, glue sticks, Says 2nd grade teacher, Carolyn Howard.

      Things not provided by the schools themselves. And it may surprise you how much teachers are able to buy with just the budget given them.

      Calvin Poole teaches 5th grade science at Sherwood Acres Elementary School.

      In my individual classroom, maybe about 40 or 50% of the supplies right now with the budget. Couple of years ago it was a little bit more, says Poole.

      I probably get about 60% of what I need from the school and then I usually have to get the other 40%, says Kim Goodson, a high school English teacher at Lee County High.

      And teachers say that in this world of instant technology and video games, students are becoming more visual-oriented learners, meaning they can't just teach out of a textbook.

      We have to try to find innovative ways to try and teach these learners so if they have to come out of our pockets to go pay for these things that we need in the classroom, that's what we have to do, says Poole.

      I buy what the children need, I buy everything they need so they can be successful, says Howard.

      Goodson hasn't bought new textbooks in years, having to make do with what they have.

      No covers, pages missing, but you know, we just do the best we can.

      Teachers say they really need to dig into their own pockets to get certain supplies because if not, they run the risk of students not learning the lesson they should be.

      It's definitely important because on the CRCT, they're gonna ask you about certain things. And if they haven't seen these things visually, if they haven't seen it, they're gonna be lost, says Poole.

      They understand parents can't always get everything on the list and they try to help out with that as well.

      And that includes even hand sanitizer to keep them healthy so they can be here every day, says Howard.