Second Update (3:00 p.m.) Officials with DCSS say the building has now been cleared and classes will be held on the regular schedule Thursday.
UPDATE (12:00 PM):
R.D. Harter with DCSS says in the interest of safety for students and staff, students were released to parents at about 10:45 and busses were brought in to take students home when inspectors revealed that people would not be allowed to re-enter the building, today.
Parents will be notified through the school system web and social media, mass media and telephone calls about arrangements for classes, tomorrow.
UPDATE (9:30 AM): Students tell FOX 31 that they are being moved from the baseball field to the stadium across from the high school so students can sit down and use the restroom while firefighters and WG&L find the source of the gas leak.
ORIGINAL STORY: Albany High School was evacuated by students and staff this morning when a noticeable smell of natural gas was observed in the building.
R.D. Harter, with the Dougherty County School System, tells FOX 31 that the Albany Fire Department is on the scene trying to identify the source of the smell.
Students and staff are safe and there is no need for students to leave the campus at this time.
Harter adds that classes will resume when the fire department determines the buildings are safe for occupation.
Stay connected to MySouthWestGA.com as stories develop and the FOX 31 Newscast at 10 PM. Visit us on Facebook and Twitter to join in on the conversation and connect with FOX 31!