UPDATE 11/24/12 3:40PM:Fire is under control.The Albany Fire Department confirms the heater was the cause of the fire, and that no one was injured.The homeowner had been having trouble with the heater not turning off, maintenance had tried to shut the heater off an hour prior to the fire but was unsuccessful.
ORIGINAL STORY:A fire broke out at 1625 Gardner Drive this afternoon around 2:45 PM.
Albany Fire crews responded to the structure fire, and are still battling the fire as of 3:00 PM. The resident of the apartment states that smoke began coming out of the heating vents after they had been running the heater continuously.
The resident also stated that they attempted to turn off the heater, but it refused to switch off. Albany Fire officials have yet to determine if the heater was the cause or something else.
As of right now there are no reported injuries, and it is believed that everyone inside made it out before the fire really gained momentum.
Stay connected to mysouthwestga.com for more on this story as it develops, and FOX 31 News Weekend.