Those worshipping at St. Teresa's Catholic Church got a special history lesson Sunday.
The original building on Residence Avenue was the first church building in Albany, built on land donated by col. Nelson Tift in 1859.
The Civil War put its completion on hold and was used as a hospital for wounded soldiers.
It was finally dedicated in 1882, although mass was only held one Sunday a month until1902.
St. Teresa's is the oldest Catholic Church in Georgia still in use.