Snow and ice close roadways across South Georgia
Winter weather is closing several roads and bridges across Southwest Georgia.
Areas along and east of I-75 may see freezing rain, sleet and snow Wednesday morning. Accumulating ice of 0.1-0.2 inches will create hazardous driving conditions through 10 a.m. Snow amounts will vary from less than an inch up to three inches further east. Areas that miss out on accumulating snow could see flurries and/or a brief dusting. Any accumulations of snow and sleet will make driving dangerous.
- James Beck overpass
- The Clay Road overpass are all iced over. Unknown at this time how long they will remain closed.
- *Reference West Hill Avenue: The CSX crossing underneath the West Hill Avenue overpass is currently open for traffic from Pear Street.
- Also closed: The South Saint Augustine Rail Road Crossing, The West Savannah Avenue Rail Road Crossing at Boone Dairy Road, and the Perkins Lane Rail Road crossing are all blocked due to a train derailment. CSX crews are on scene dealing with the crash at this time. No hazardous material reported, just empty box cars. Unknown at this time any further information regarding the derailment, please contact CSX for further details.
- Valdosta police say that at 9:30 a.m. Wednesday, there are several reports coming in regarding parts of surface roads either frozen or beginning to freeze; traveling vehicles are having a difficult time getting traction.
The Valdosta Police Department is asking for all citizens to stay off the roads unless travel is absolutely necessary. Use extreme caution when traveling as more ice is expected to form during the next few hours.
- Highway 84 bypass shut down at County Line Road
- Numerous bridges are reported to have ice on them.
Unless necessary, stay home and off the roadways, especially in areas expecting wintry precipitation.