Smoke causes evacuation of Albany Towers

Albany Fire Dept. responds

Where there's smoke, there's fire â" unless you happened to be inside Albany Towers this morning.

The Albany Fire Department responded to reports of heavy smoke in several sections of the downtown office complex around 9:15.

Firefighters later determined the smoke was the result of an overheated motor on an outside A/C unit.

The smoke spread through the air shafts and triggered the fire alarms, confusing many inside the building.

"We wasn't noticed," said Lisa Arnold. "If we didn't hear the alarm, we wouldn't have even noticed and then one of the employees finally told us we need to evacuate the building."

No one was hurt and no significant damage was reported.