Rusty nails spurs warning of ground spores

Nails found on the bed of the Kinchafoonee Creek. / Jessica Fairley

After a bed of nails are found at the bottom of the Kinchafoonee Creek in Lee County, health officials are warning residents about the possible dangers of this sort of hazard.

Officials say people could come in contact with a Tetanus infection that can cause lockjaw or muscle spasms.

"Tetanus is spore that's found in the soil and it's always there. We always have the potential of exposure that's why we get a booster every 10 years," says Dana Hager, Lee County Health Department Nurse Supervisor.

Hager says if you can't remember the last time that you've had a tetanus shot, you may want to check with your doctor to see if you need one.

A Tetanus infection isn't the only health condition that could be contracted from an open wound.

In recent months a flesh-eating bacteria sent a scare through the country after a Georgia woman was infected.

Although rare, the Necrotizing fasciitis disease could be contracted through a deep cut in the surface of the skin.