Restaurant Report: May 5, 2014
Health inspectors are keeping a close eye out for hygiene violations - things like handling food and drinks properly and correct hand washing procedures. If these violations are allowed to go on without being corrected, customers could possibly get sick.
El Caribe, 3329 Sylvester Rd., Albany - Grade: 84
According to the Georgia Department of Public Health, any score below 70 is considered unsanitary.
During the inspection, the health inspector docked points for sliced watermelon and cantaloupe being held at above 41 degrees Fahrenheit. The person-in-charge added more ice and water into the container.
Chemicals and medication were not stored separate from food in a manner to prevent possible cross-contamination. The person-in-charge moved the chemicals and medication to an area away from food to prevent possible cross-contamination.
There were no sanitizer test strips on the site to measure sanitizer chemical concentration.
Lastly, El Caribe was cited for the drain on a utility sink in need of repair.
Local restaurants obtained a perfect grade this week; several others were graded in the 90s.
- Einstein Noah Restaurant, 100 Dennis Dr., Albany - Grade: 100
- Pat's Place, 533 E. Washington Ave., Ashburn - Grade: 100
- C & C Crab Shack, 809 N. Parrish Ave., Adel - Grade: 100
- Waffle House, 1001 W. Fourth St., Adel - Grade: 100
- Caf at Fourth & Cherry, 205 E. Cherry St., Ocilla - Grade: 100
- Chicken Delite, 115 N. Irwin Ave., Ocilla - Grade: 96
- Oscar's Place, 10865 Dickey St., Morgan - Grade: 95
- Bargain Barn, 117 S. Cherry St., Ocilla - Grade: 94
- Subway, 2005 North St., Ashburn - Grade: 94
- Rescue Smokehouse Grill, 245 E. Monroe Ave., Ashburn - Grade: 89
- Doc's BBQ, 4099 South Depot St., Leary - Grade: 87
- Catfish House, 101 N. Irwin Ave., Ocilla - Grade: 85
- El Caribe, 3329 Sylvester Rd., Albany - Grade: 84
Restaurants are inspected every six months, but if you see a potential violation let your county health department know about it. Stay connected to MySouthWestGA.com as stories develop and the FOX 31 Newscast at 10 PM. Visit us on Facebook and Twitter to join in on the conversation and connect with FOX 31!