Restaurant Report: August 4, 2014
Health inspectors are keeping a close eye out for hygiene violations - things like handling food and drinks properly and correct hand washing procedures. If these violations are allowed to go on without being corrected, customers could possibly get sick.
El Cazador Mexican Restaurant, 1103 King Rd., Tifton - Grade: 75
According to the Georgia Department of Public Health, any score below 70 is considered unsanitary.
During the inspection, the health inspector docked points for the pitchers containing water and tea in the customer area, tortillas were in the prep area, seasoning was found on shelving under the cook area, hot dogs and beef patties were in the freezer uncovered. Multiple salsa containers, cilantro, thyme, chile rellenos, and tomatoes were uncovered in the walk-in cooler.
Refried beans for hot holding were not reaching 165 degrees Fahrenheit within two hours.
Cut tomatoes were cold held at greater than 41 degrees Fahrenheit in the food prep area in a container on ice. Raw meat was not held at the proper cold temperature in the makeline coolers. The lids are to be kept on closed on the coolers when not in use. All items were thrown away.
Sliced tomatoes and rice water were not cooled to 41 degrees Fahrenheit in four hours after prepping. Items were discarded.
Lastly, El Cazador Mexican Restaurant was cited for sliced tomatoes in the walk-in cooler and rice water in the refrigerator in the front of the restaurant not being cooled by an approved method. Items were thrown away.
Paco's Mexican Restaurant, 285 U.S. Hwy. 19 S., Leesburg - Grade: 85
Last week we told you about a failing health inspection score of 58 at Paco's Mexican Restaurant in Leesburg. This week there is an update to the score.
During the new inspection, the health inspector docked points for the person-in-charge not being able to demonstrate he was overseeing and monitoring cooling procedures of refried beans from previous nights service or monitoring temperatures of cut tomatoes in the prep cooler or cold hold bar.
Cut tomatoes were held at 56 and 52 degrees Fahrenheit in the prep cooler and on the salad bar.
Lastly, Paco's Mexican Restaurant was cited for refried beans cooling from overnight at 58 and 63 degrees Fahrenheit in the walk-in cooler. The manager threw away the beans.
Local restaurants obtained a perfect grade this week; several others were graded in the 90s.
- J's Plantation House, 3051 Highway 82 E., Sumner - Grade: 100
- Burger King, 2007 E. Oglethorpe Blvd., Albany - Grade: 100
- L & M Garlic Crabs & More, 701 Lippitt Dr., Albany - Grade: 100
- Los Vaqueros Mexican Restaurant, 603 N. Westover Blvd., Albany - Grade: 97
- Mikata Japanese Steakhouse, 2610 Dawson Rd., Albany - Grade: 96
- Long John Silver, 1716 E. Oglethorpe Blvd., Albany - Grade: 95
- Suway, 1103 N. Westover Blvd., Albany - Grade: 93
- Longhorn Steakhouse, 2733 Dawson Rd., Albany - Grade: 92
- Locos Grill & Pub, 547 N. Westover Blvd., Albany - Grade: 91
- Michael's Bar-B-Que, 2319 Gillionville Rd., Albany - Grade: 91
- El Metate Mexican Restaurant, 1021 2nd St. W., Tifton - Grade: 91
- Subway, 3900 Gillionville Rd., Albany - Grade: 91
- Captain D's, 255 Ocilla Hwy., Fitzgerald - Grade: 91
- Subway, 456 Virginia Ave., Tifton - Grade: 91
- El Racho, 2415 Dawson Rd., Albany - Grade: 90
- Austin's Firegrill, 2817 Old Dawson Rd., Albany - Grade: 88
- Sno Biz, 110 Virginia Ave., Tifton - Grade: 87
- Burger King, 1501 Radium Springs Rd., Albany - Grade: 87
- Paco's Mexican Restaurant, 285 U.S. Hwy. 19 S., Leesburg - Grade: 85
- El Cazador Mexican Restaurant, 1103 King Rd., Tifton - Grade: 75
Restaurants are inspected every six months, but if you see a potential violation let your county health department know about it.
Stay connected to MySouthWestGA.com as stories develop and the FOX 31 Newscast at 10 PM. Visit us on Facebook and Twitter to join in on the conversation and connect with FOX 31!