Restaurant Report: August 18, 2014
Health inspectors are keeping a close eye out for hygiene violations - things like handling food and drinks properly and correct hand washing procedures. If these violations are allowed to go on without being corrected, customers could possibly get sick.
Leesburg Express, 275 U.S. 19 S., Leesburg - Grade: 77
According to the Georgia Department of Public Health, any score below 70 is considered unsanitary.
During the inspection, the health inspector docked points for neither the person-in-charge nor the employees demonstrating knowledge of the five diseases and symptoms required to be reported.
Boxes of raw chicken were stored over plastic containers of canned corn and beans in the walk-in cooler. The person-in-charge corrected the violation.
Containers of corn and beans were not hot held at temperatures below 135 degrees Fahrenheit in hot hold display.
Lastly, Leesburg Express was cited for a refrigerator in use that was not ANSI approved for the purpose of storing raw and cooked chicken.Top Scores:
Local restaurants obtained a perfect grade this week; several others were graded in the 90s.
- Chill Bar & Lounge, 242 W. Broad Ave., Albany - Grade: 100
- King's Fried Fish & Chicken, 202 E. Oglethorpe Blvd., Albany - Grade: 100
- Marco's Pizza, 2818 Old Dawson Rd., Albany - Grade: 100
- El Maya III, 1561 U.S. Hwy. 19 S., Leesburg - Grade: 100
- McDonald's, 274 U.S. Highway 19 S., Leesburg - Grade: 100
- Hardee's, 218 S. Virginia Ave., Tifton - Grade: 100
- Subway, 1830 U.S. Highway 82 W., Tifton - Grade: 100
- Horse Creek Bistro & Winery, 101 Roundtree Bridge Rd., Sparks - Grade: 100
- Hibachi Buffet, 162 Ocilla Hwy., Fitzgerald - Grade: 100
- Cafe at Fourth Cherry, 205 E. Cherry St., Ocilla - Grade: 100
- Subway, 802 N. Irwin Ave., Ocilla - Grade: 100
- Mary O's, 3121 S. Central Ave., Tifton - Grade: 96
- Stevi B's Pizza Buffet, 131 S. Virginia Ave., Tifton - Grade: 96
- Sambos Jumbos, 101 McCranie St., Willacoochee - Grade: 94
- Carter's Fried Chicken, 288 North Main St., Dawson - Grade: 93
- Red's, 4099 South Depot St., Leary - Grade: 91
- The Smokehouse, 1616 U.S. Highway 82 W., Tifton - Grade: 91
- Bojangles, 303 S. Magnolia St., Tifton - Grade: 91
- Wing Dixie & Deli, 2601 Dawson Rd., Albany - Grade: 91
- Mellow Mushroom, 2825 Nottingham Way, Albany - Grade: 90
- China Garden, 2228 N. Slappey Blvd., Albany - Grade: 89
- Hot Dog King, 110 Cordele Rd., Albany - Grade: 88
- International House of Pancakes, 125 Cartmell Rd., Albany - Grade: 87
- Sonic Drive-In, 519 N. Westover Blvd., Albany - Grade: 86
- Albany Elks Club, 3213 Gillionville Rd., Albany - Grade: 85
- Leesburg Express, 275 U.S. 19 S., Leesburg - Grade: 77
Restaurants are inspected every six months, but if you see a potential violation let your county health department know about it.
Stay connected to MySouthWestGA.com as stories develop and the FOX 31 Newscast at 10 PM. Visit us on Facebook and Twitter to join in on the conversation and connect with FOX 31!