Resident of apartment fire speaks

The damaged home on McClain. / Jessica Fairley

A day after a fire burned out several town homes in the Regency Club Apartments on Tomkins Avenue, FOX 31 speaks with the woman who lived in the apartment where the fire originated.

Ebonnie Thrower says she was not home when the fire started and her electricity had been turned off.

She says officials tell her that when the electricity was turned back on the stove had been left on and a pan with grease inside caught fire.

"Indeed we had a pot of grease on the stove, but we hadn't used the stove in two days. So that grease shouldn't have had any effect," said Ebonnie Thrower, fire victim.

Thrower says she did not leave the stove on before the electricity was turned off.

The woman had been living in the apartment for about five months. She is now displaced and living with family while others who lived in the complex are living in hotels.

In north Albany on McLain Street, the Powell's are also reaching out for help.

The kids clothes, our clothes, everything we had we lost. Baby pictures, all that," said Charity Powell, McLain Street fire victim.

While friends and family are collecting items for the Powell's, the Red

Cross is also offering assistance to all the families.

"We put up to three nights in the motels and we have agreements with the motels so that they give us a better rate for the families that were affected," said Lara Gill, Director of the Flint River Chapter of the Red Cross.

Lara Gill says food and clothing vouchers should hopefully get all the fire victims started on the way to recovery.

Stay connected to as stories develop and the FOX 31 Newscast at 10 PM. Visit us on Facebook and Twitter to join in on the conversation and connect with FOX 31!

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off