85 / 66
      83 / 60
      76 / 57

      Red Cross steps in after fire Sunday

      The fire Sunday night was caused by food left on the stove

      A 42-year-old man and an 18-year-old girl were displaced Sunday night because of a kitchen fire.

      It happened at 1103 University Avenue apartment A at 10:20 p.m.

      Fire officials say the man was cooking chicken on the stove when he walked away for a moment.

      When he came back, the stove was on fire.

      The fire was contained to the kitchen and all the cabinets had to be ripped out.

      The Red Cross is assisting the two who were living inside.