Though many find relief from the hot South Georgia days indoors, our homeless population is at risk with nowhere to go, and local EMS officials say they've already had one death after a woman was found outside with a temperature of 107.
"When people start going over 104 , 105, then it starts getting in the realm of we want to nip it in the bud before it gets much higher than that. If you start getting in that range, you probably need to come to the emergency room or call your physician and be seen," said Dr. Joel Holcombe.
Officials say if you see someone on the ground outside that doesn't look well, take a second to stop and check on them, but if you're not comfortable doing that, don't hesitate to call 911.
"We respond to them as a true emergency and some of them will be. Some of them have got overheated and have passed out," said Dougherty County EMS director Greg Rowe.
Paramedics say heat exhaustion can creep up on anyone, so make sure you can recognize the signs like nausea, dizziness, and disorientation. Though it sounds simple, if you start feeling those signs of being overheated, the best thing you can do is get inside and get a glass of water.
Water is the fastest way to replenish the hydration lost during sweating, which officials say is your body's natural reaction to cool off, so for those that don't have the resources to stop their body from dangerous temperatures, officials say keep an eye out for them and use precaution.
"Better safe than sorry. A human life is worth a lot more than somebody ignoring it," said Rowe.