Illinois State Police say the suspect in the slayings of five people at a home in a west-central Illinois is dead.
Illinois State Police Lt. Col. Todd Kilby said the suspect was injured in an exchange of gunfire with law enforcement personnel during a car chase. He was taken to a hospital, where he was later pronounced dead.
Kilby spoke to reporters in the village of Manchester where the killings took place on Wednesday. Kilby says the suspect was in possession of multiple weapons. He did not identify him by name.
Besides the five people slain, a 6-year-old girl was wounded and taken to a hospital in Springfield, about 50 miles east of Manchester. Kilby declined to discuss a possible motive or the relationship between the suspect and the victims.
Authorities are investigating the slayings of five people whose bodies were found in a house in the tiny Scott County community of Manchester. A suspect is in custody.
Illinois State Police spokeswoman Monique Bond says the victims were found early Wednesday morning in the southwestern Illinois community, 50 miles west of Springfield. She didn't have any details on the deaths or the circumstances surrounding the capture of the suspect.
A school superintendent in the area says he was informed by sheriffs early Wednesday morning that the victims had been shot to death. Les Stevens of the North Greene School District says he canceled classes because authorities warned him at the time that the suspect was at large. The district has since been informed that the man was captured.
The mayor of Manchester, Ill., says the suspect in the deaths of five people has been hospitalized after being injured during a pursuit by police. The bodies of the five were found early today in a house. And two school superintendents say they've been told that the victims had been shot. They said they both canceled classes at their schools, because the suspect was still at large at that time.