No compensation for innocent inmates

If a person is wrongfully accused and put in jail, he will not get any kind of monetary compensation from the state if he is released.

That was our Facebook story of the day.

District Attorney Greg Edwards says Georgia does not compensate those who are later found to be innocent, as long as the legal process was correct, saying that person would have to file a lawsuit.

"The wrongful action would probably be brought against either the accuser, whoever that may be, or if there's some police officer that did something intentionally falsely, that would be another issue," says Edwards.

However, an officer cannot be sued if he or she was able to produce evidence enough to remove reasonable doubt.