Mardi Gras slows traffic around town
Georgia DOT announces temporary lane closures on sections of U.S. 19/U.S. 82/S.R. 520 Business/East and West Oglethorpe Boulevard and S.R. 234/Gillionville Rd. and temporary stoppages of traffic at several locations in the City of Albany for the 2012 Mardi Gras Festival/Snickers Marathon. These closures are scheduled to begin at 6 a.m. and continue until 11 a.m., Saturday, March 3, weather permitting.
The following locations will have lane closures;
- The east and westbound right lane of U.S. 19/U.S. 82/S.R. 520 Business/East and West Oglethorpe Boulevard between Sands Drive and Monroe Street.
- The eastbound right lane of S.R. 234/Gillionville Rd. between U.S. 19/U.S. 82/S.R. 520 Business/Slappey Boulevard and Weymouth Drive.
Motorists will be temporarily stopped many times on the following state routes to allow runners to cross the roadway;
- East and westbound U.S. 82/S.R. 520 Business at Sands Drive
- North and southbound S.R. 91/S.R. 133/Jefferson Street at U.S. 19/U.S. 82/S.R. 520 Business and at West 4th Avenue
- East and westbound U.S. 82/S.R. 520 Business/Slappey Boulevard at Gillionville Road, Whispering Pines Road and at 14th Avenue
- East and westbound S.R. 234/Gillionville Road at Weymouth Dr.
The City of Albany Police Department will be handling the traffic control and directional information to ensure the safety of the traveling public. Alternate routes should be utilized.