79
      Monday
      86 / 62
      Tuesday
      80 / 61
      Wednesday
      79 / 55

      Kitchen fire displaces two Albany families

      The Albany Fire Department responded to the scene of a duplex fire in the 600 block of Willard Avenue.

      / Franklin White


      On Thursday, the Albany Fire Department responded to the scene of a duplex fire in the 600 block of Willard Avenue.

      Battalion Chief Matthew Jefferson says a 20-year-old woman in apartment A was cooking on the stove and left the room.

      He says when she returned, the entire room was engulfed in flames.

      The fire quickly spread throughout the apartment and into apartment B.

      Apartment A had fire and smoke damage, and apartment B only sustained heavy smoke damage.

      The damage is between $15,000 and $20,000 dollars and has led to both families being displaced. The Red Cross has been notified of the displacement.

      Fire department officials say that there were no injuries and neither apartment had smoke detectors.

      Stay connected to MySouthWestGA.com as stories develop and the FOX 31 Newscast at 10 PM. Visit us on Facebook and Twitter to join in on the conversation and connect with FOX 31!

      component-story-more_media_horiz-v1-01
      FOLLOW US ON TWITTER