MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

House fire exposes potential hazard in remodeled homes

AFD said flames slipped through this hole from the old stove and caught part of the house on fire. / Courtesy: Albany Fire Department

The Albany Fire Department is warning homeowners about a potential fire hazard they could have if their home's been remodeled.

This comes after a house fire just after 4 a.m. Wednesday morning on Gravel Hill Road.

Investigator Sam Harris said when the home was remodeled, a oil-burning stove that vented smoke through a hole in the back of the chimney was removed, but it hadn't been filled correctly during the remodel.

On Tuesday night, the current family started a fire in their fireplace, but flames slipped through that hole from the old stove and caught part of the house on fire.

"If you ever decide to remodel, and you have this kind of situation, make sure that you take concrete and seal off that back side of the fireplace chimney so that this doesn't happen in your own home," Harris said.

Harris added that everyone who was in the house at the time is OK.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off

Trending