MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Albany Fire Department gives tips on fireplace safety

The Albany Fire Department wants to ensure residents have a safe holiday season.{ }

Photo: Kailey McCarthy

As temperatures begin to drop this holiday season, it is important to have a professional check out your chimney before using that fireplace for the first time.

According to the Albany Fire Department, is it a good idea to have a professional chimney sweeping done before using that fireplace for the first time of the season.

Also, make sure that your chimney is free of debris before lighting that first fire.

According to Assistant Fire Chief Rubin Jordan, keep combustible materials atleast three feet away from the fireplace at all times.

“With your fire place burning, always have somebody near the fireplace so they can pay attention to the fire and you’ll be safe," said Jordan.

Jordan also warns to never leave a fire place going over night.

Trending