81 / 53
      78 / 54
      79 / 58

      French fries lead to Pointe North fire

      Smoke pours out of the back of the home on Pointe North Boulevard.

      The Albany Fire Department responded shortly after noon to a grease fire in the 2600 block of Pointe North Boulevard.The resident told fire officials that he was cooking french fries and the grease became too hot and ignited. He tried to put it out himself, but he was unable to, leading him to call the fire department.

      "The pan itself caught on fire and spread quickly through the kitchen, so he did the right thing and exited the kitchen and gave us a call," said battalion chief, Kelly Harcrow.Fire officials say that damage was isolated to the kitchen, but power had to be cut to the home.Stay connected to MySouthWestGA.com as stories develop and the FOX 31 Newscast at 10 PM. Visit us on Facebook and Twitter to join in on the conversation and connect with FOX 31!