Food borne illnesses spike during summer months
It is summertime, and that means temperatures are one the rise, and so are food borne illnesses.
"Well, I've had ill borne illnesses from fish, and also a lot of red meat," said Cassandra Williamson, a former chef who has had food poisoning twice. "I remember years ago I had some from lettuce that was food poisoning to me."
Restaurants often crack eggs and put them together in a large container. The practice, known as pooling, increases the risk of food borne illnesses.
"That's kind of gross because you don't know which eggs is good, and which ones are bad. It's kind of gross," Williamson said.
Heidi Summerland of Albany has gotten food poisoning from an egg before. "I've actually ate an egg before and got sick from it -- it was a boiled egg and I woke up in the middle of the night sick."
One in six people contract a food borne illness every year, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. There is a spike in cases during the summer months, sometimes because of the high temperatures.