Battalion Chief Keith Ambrose with the Albany Fire Department says firefighters don't like space heaters because residents put themselves at risk without even knowing it.
Space heaters may be a way to save money but they can also bring danger, just like a gas heater, when used the wrong way. Chief Ambrose said, "if you do plug them in try to plug them in to a circuit when they're by themselves because they pull a heavy ampridge, don't plug them into the extension cord and make an extension cord a real long lay with it because it will cause the extension cord to heat up and break down and cause a fire."
Ambrose adds there isn't one specific type of heater that's safe because they could all be a menace if they're not used properly.
Stay connected to MySouthWestGA.com as stories develop and the FOX 31 Newscast at 10 PM. Visit us on Facebook and Twitter to join in on the conversation and connect with FOX 31!