76 / 56
      75 / 54
      72 / 52

      Fire Safety Week kicks off

      Gas grill explosions, cooking fires, fires from smoking in bed: These were a few of the issues discussed among fire officials and men ages 18 to 25 during a seminar that kicked off Albany TMs Fire Safety Week.

      Representatives from the Albany Fire Department discussed common fire concerns they see with that age group such as gas grilling explosions and cooking fires. Fire officials say another common problem is fires caused by people dozing off while smoking in bed.

      The main thing that we want them to take away from this is to practice safety drills in the home as well as ensuring that their smoke detectors are in working order; they change the batteries in them as they should do twice a year, says Wesley Wells with the Albany Fire Department. He also says it TMs important to have a working fire extinguisher in the home.

      Albany TMs Fire Safety Week will continue another seminar tomorrow at 10 a.m. at Turner Gym and at 6:30 p.m. at Carver Gym.

      A large fire safety event for kids will be held at the Albany Civic Center on Wednesday at 9:30 a.m.