72 / 61
      75 / 62
      78 / 61

      Fire on Old Dawson Road a close call for family members

      No injuries in Old Dawson fire, however close call for handicapped woman.

      A fire broke out on the 5400th block of Old Dawson Road around 7:30 AM this morning.

      The Albany Fire Department received the call and responded to what was reported as a shed fire. Upon arrival fire crews found that the blaze was actually inside a guest house next to the home, and therefore deemed a structure fire.

      No one was inside during the fire, however only a week ago a handicapped woman had been living there. Family members had just moved the woman to a nursing home so she could be given more care, and called the timing of the fire a true blessing.

      "My aunt's daughter is handicapped, and she lived in there, and we'd just moved her to a nursing home a couple weeks ago, so thank goodness she wasn't in there when the fire started," said family member, Matt Layer.

      Officials with the Albany Fire Department are still investigating how the blaze began at this time.