FB Story of the Day: Sparklers
Fri, 01 Jul 2011 19:18:53 GMT —
In our Facebook Story of the Day you wanted to know are sparklers dangerous?
Firework sellers say sparklers are one of their most popular items, especially among kids. But fire officials say that's all the more reason to make sure children are safe when handling them.
"Sparklers are dangerous anytime they are misused. They do burn at almost 1,800 degrees and they can cause burn injuries real easy especially with small kids. The second leading cause of injuries during the Fourth of July from fireworks is from sparklers and most of those are under fourteen years of age," said Albany Fire Chief James Carswell.
Officials say if kids are going to play with sparklers you want to make sure they do it safely. Always have adults around, don't let small children handle sparklers and always dump them into a bucket of water once you're done playing with them.