Drug Unit finds Xanax, ecstasy, and more during bust

The Albany Dougherty Drug Unit showcases all of the items found at the bust. / Jessica Fairley

The Albany-Dougherty Drug Unit and the Georgia State Board of Pardons and Paroles teamed up Tuesday afternoon to get a suspected drug dealer off the street.

Michael Najjar is behind bars facing charges of possession of methamphetamine with intent to distribute, possession of Xanax with intent to distribute, possession of Ecstasy with intent to distribute and parole violation.

The parolee had been released from prison after serving a six month stint behind bars for similar crimes.

Drug officials began to follow his trial when he displayed suspicious behavior to his parole officer during his Tuesday visit.

The parole officer alerted the chief parole officer who then sent officers to the home of the suspect.

At the home, they found methamphetamine. That's when officers alerted the Albany-Dougherty Drug Unit.

Once drug unit investigators obtained a search warrant, they say the evidence inside Najjar's home was out in full view.

"We went in and located about a half ounce of meth. It appears to be high quality meth. We found a safe in the house then Got the safe open found and Xanax bars, and Ecstasy pills," said Albany Dougherty Drug Unit Assistant Commander Capt. Andy Exum.

They even found an unknown substance that has to be lab tested for identification.

The suspect was also caught with weapons, which are illegal for parolees.

Najjar has only been out of jail for 2 months, but officials say his stash proves he's been able to make major connections.

"For the size of the meth you would assume that he's getting it out of somewhere like Atlanta where they have the Mexican connection that bring the meth in and they bring meth in by the pound," said Captain Andy Exum.

He says most likely the suspect smuggled the contraband into southwest Georgia using a small contraption hidden under his car.

This is Michael Najjar's third time going to jail for the same offense and since it is his third strike, officials say he will serve the time that he gets, which could be up to 100 years in prison.

If convicted, he could serve 5 to 30 years for each count.