Dougherty Co. storm debris removal underway
Debris removal from the Jan. 22 storm is heading into the next phase.
Dougherty County hired Ceres Environmental and Tetra Tech to take care of debris removal.
On Thursday night, leader held a town hall meeting tonight to explain the debris removal plan with residents and what they can expect over the next 90 days.
One important note is that debris must be in the right of way, not sidewalks, as they cannot go on private property to remove anything.
Residents are also asked to avoid mixing debris.
Debris shouldn't be put in black trash bags, but rather clear ones and debris shouldn't be mixed with trash.
So far since they started Tuesday, Cres said its cleaned up about 40,000 cubic feet.
The county is on an accelerated cleanup plan and leaders say that fast pace will help to get the maximum possible reimbursement from FEMA.
"No matter what, we've got to get rid of the debris. And doing it efficiently it allows people to go back to work, it allows people to start construction, it allows people to get back to a normal way of life. We also want to do it efficiently so that we do what’s best for the people’s tax dollars," said Dougherty County Commission Chairman Chris Cohilas.
50 residents have also been hired by the county to monitor cleanup.
Crews will make up to three passes through the county and give notice before the last chance to out debris out is.
If residents can't get their debris to the right of way, they're asked to call the debris management hotline at (229) 733-9349.