MENU

      Don't dry clothes while sleeping

      "Dryers have elements, heating elements, and if you don't clean that once, after every use you can end up having a major fire in your home," said Matthew Jefferson, battalion chief for the Albany Fire Department.

      / Melanie Kendall


      Albany firefighters are reminding everyone not to start appliances then go to bed.

      It was a lesson learned for folks at 924 Rosedale Avenue Monday morning.

      The resident put clothes in his dryer then went to sleep.

      Excessive lint caused the dryer to start smoking.

      "Dryers have elements, heating elements, and if you don't clean that once, after every use you can end up having a major fire in your home," said Matthew Jefferson, battalion chief for the Albany Fire Department.

      Jefferson says not to use appliances like dishwashers or washing machines and go to bed either.

      No smoke detectors were in the home but fortunately no one was hurt. All damage was contained to the dryer.

      component-story-more_media_horiz-v1-01
      FOLLOW US ON TWITTER