82 / 58
      76 / 56
      80 / 59

      Deadly gas detectors not mandated in public Georgia facilities

      After three people were found dead and a fourth was found unresponsive in the same North Carolina hotel room in two separate carbon monoxide poisoning incidents just weeks apart from each other, many are asking why there wasn't a nearby detector installed.Albany Fire Department officials say in some states, only newer-model private residential homes are required to have a working carbon monoxide detector inside, and Georgia is one of them.Public buildings like hotels aren't mandated by law to install anything other than fire alarms and a sprinkler system, and officials say this is okay if they're run fully on electric.Safety is compromised, however when there are gas-powered appliances like water heaters and stoves, which can emit the odorless and colorless gas without warning.Officials say if you have any gas-powered items in your home or residence, it's a safe choice to make sure you have a working detector because it only takes an hour or two to cause serious damage and the noticeable symptoms are usually confused with something less serious.

      Stay connected to MySouthWestGA.com as stories develop and the FOX 31 Newscast at 10 PM. Visit us on Facebook and Twitter to join in on the conversation and connect with FOX 31!