component-social-facebook_share_api-v2-01
      60
      Saturday
      53 / 28
      Sunday
      55 / 38
      Monday
      66 / 47

      Albany Fire Department saves family's Thanksgiving

      Firefighters were also able to save the meal that the family had been preparing and a neighbor allowed them to eat at their home. / Colby Gallagher


      An Albany family is thankful for the Albany Fire Department after saving their home and their Thanksgiving meal.

      The Bonnyview Avenue family was cooking for Thanksgiving and it is suspected that using a lot of appliances at the same time in the older apartment shorted the fuse box.

      After shorting, the fuse box started to spark and smoke, however the family caught it quickly, and called the Albany Fire Department who arrived shortly before 2:00 PM.

      Upon arrival, the firefighters encountered light smoke in the house and killed the power to the fuse box, preventing the sparking from causing a fire. They contacted Water, Gas, and Light to come examine the box.

      Firefighters were also able to save the meal that the family had been preparing and a neighbor allowed them to eat at their home.

      The family will be displaced for at least one night until the fuse box is repaired.

      Stay connected to MySouthWestGA.com as the story develops and the FOX 31 Newscast at 10 PM.

      FOLLOW US ON TWITTER