Albany, Dougherty County honors fallen officers
Albany and Dougherty County honored its 11 law enforcement officers killed in the line of duty at a ceremony Thursday.
The ceremony is an annual part of Law Enforcement Memorial Week and was held on the Albany State University campus.
Among those 11 was former Dougherty County Police Lt. Thomas Clifford “Cliff” Rouse, who was killed in 2010 while responding to an armed robbery call. His mother, Jackie, attended the ceremony as she has done in previous years.
“I would never miss it,” she said. “They may roll me in here on a wheelchair, but I would never miss it.”
Family members and fellow officers placed a flower in honor of each of the 11 at a wreath from their department.
APD Chief Michael Persley said this event is for the family as much as for the fallen officers.
“What you don’t see are the families, the behind-the-scenes sacrifice, and how it’s important for us to never forget the families,” he said.
The ceremony wrapped up with the final radio signal in their honor and with a playing of Taps, which Jackie said is a bittersweet moment.
“Whenever you hear that, that’s just always such a sad thing,” she said. “But then you have such a glory in your heart that your loved one is honored, and he is remembered along with all the others.”
Albany-Dougherty officers killed in the line of duty:
• Patrolman Marion C. Collins (Albany Police Department)—Feb. 9, 1920
• Chief Robert S. Wallis (APD)—Jan. 24, 1928
• Patrolman Earl B. Crenshaw (APD)—June 18, 1956
• Patrolman Thomas W. Dunbar (APD)—Oct. 26, 1961
• Patrolman Randy E. Brown (APD)—June 10, 1979
• Cpl. Terry Lewis Flemming (APD)—Oct. 28, 2011
• Capt. Thomas Mitchell Williamson (Dougherty County Sheriff’s Office)—Nov. 16, 1988
• Lt. Albert Duane Clark (DCSO)—Nov. 16, 1988
• Lt. Thomas Clifford Rouse (Dougherty County Police)—Dec. 23, 2010
• Chief John Ross Juneau (Southwest Georgia Regional Airport Police)—May 2, 2003
• Cpl. Dustin J. Lee (United States Marine Corps)—March 21, 2007